1942 Eglinton Avenue West, Toronto • 416-782-1734 • Open 10 am – 9 pm Toronto''s Best Relflexology Massage – Asian Health & Beauty Reflexology is a focused pressure technique, usually directed at the feet or hands. It is based on the premise that there are zones and...
How To Stay Calm During A Natural Disaster
Disasters strike during times that you least expect it. It can affect even the calmest of persons and it is something that can cause a lot of anxiety and stress. People that are faced with the specter of getting injured or harmed during a disaster often show panic reactions which only makes the situation worse and doubly dangerous. That is why it is important that people should remain calm and avoid getting too panicky as it may spell the difference between life and death. Here are some things that you need to do in order to stay calm in the face of danger of a natural disaster.
Overthinking can only make things worse and could only bolster the presence of stress which makes people think irrationally. Overthinking and letting the fear overcome the senses are perfect ingredients for disaster. People that overthink make lousy judgment and may suffer from panic attacks. It is best that you refrain from thinking ahead of what will happen to you or your loved ones. Live in the now and try to do things slowly and to focus your attention on the pressing and important things that you need to do in order to survive a natural disaster.
People that are panicking would be breathing shallower than usual. This can cause a very harmful effect to the body as the need for oxygen may be insufficient. Try to stop and sit down. Breath slowly and deeper. This will cause a relaxing feeling and help the body to be calmer and be able to think of ways how to escape from the critical area and off to safer ground. Try to inhale air as fast as you can and hold it for three to five seconds. Then slowly release it through the mouth. Repeat this breathing exercise until you feel some degree of calmness.
Listen to authorities
Most often people that are panicking during disasters are those that are uninformed. Emergency responders are on the scene to help people that have been caught in the midst of an emergency such as a natural disaster. See if you can reach out to a responder or listen via radio on the possible evacuation procedures. The idea of having some degree of hope will help you become calmer knowing that there are people that are doing their best to help you in your difficult situation. When you listen, do things as you are told and never question authority. They are there to help you get to safer ground as life preservation is their paramount concern than to save properties.
The best way to eliminate the panic during a natural disaster is to prepare ahead. If you live in a strip where tornadoes and earthquakes abound it is best to prepare for it. While all of us expect that nothing untoward will happen it is best to prepare for the worst possible scenario as natural disasters are hard to predict in the long-term. Make sure that you can easily access your emergency disaster kits with enough supplies for food, medicine and clean water. This will help you get calmer knowing that you have greater chances of survival.
When you think positive you drive away all the negativity and imbibe a feeling where you can think clearer and more logical. When you are stuck in a natural disaster you don’t have much choice but to wait and stay relaxed until help comes. Think that you will get the help that you need soon and try to save your energy when that time comes.
Flash a smile
Smiling will be hard to come by in a difficult situation. Try putting a pencil in between your lips and try to put pressure. The muscles that you will be using are the same ones that you are using to smile. Research says that stress can be eased when people are smiling even if it is a fake one.
A natural disaster is something that comes like a thief in the night. But nothing can beat to be eternally ready like the Boy Scouts. When you prepare, think less of the situation and breathe better you free the anxiety and stress and be able to think clearer and better so you can address the situation with a greater degree of success.
About the Author:
Ryan Rivera loves to provide tips that help people overcome stress and anxiety. You may visit calmclinic account for more helpful information.
Let’s face it – the visit of a cyclone is something which none of us take pride in ushering! However, the onset of one of these natural disasters is in prompt accordance to Mother Nature’s moods and is therefore just downright inevitable.
Regardless, immediate solutions are always at hand for educating and training those who are prone to being potential victims to these predicaments. Read on to know as to just how you could prepare for disasters well ahead in advance and initiate ultimate security within the sanctuary of nowhere but your very own home!
What are the tasks that need to be carried out within your premises in order to ensure a weather-proof stringency?
- Board all the windows in your home: Sans any doubt, windows are the prime point for harsh gales and flyaway objects to instantly gain entry into the rest of your house. Therefore, it makes sense to pull up your hurricane shutters (if you have any installed) or use sturdy wooden planks to do so.
- Lock up items that aren’t of a durable standard or aren’t going to be needed: For this, you first need to take a look around your house as to which items are frail and of little use – most garden furniture such as movable benches and umbrellas very much aren’t and shifting these items to a more secure spot inside you house is most prudent.
- Perform an express grooming session of your lawn: While those extra twigs on your willow tree may sway undulated during a sensational breeze, they could potentially put a precious life at risk in due course of a storm! At least prior to 36 hours of being informed, trim all the trees, shrubs and hedges in your yard.
- Clear away gutters too: You want any tempest rainwater to smoothly flow away without any risk of flooding so make sure you rake off any debris that lies within any drains around your vicinity.
What do you and your family members need to comply with for ultimate protection?
- Stay updated! Let’s not compromise real-time weather broadcasts for the sake of our lives. Keep a compact, cordless radio with you at all times – turned on the most clarified frequency level.
- Miscellaneous provisional equipment that shall be mandatorily required: Along with a cordless radio, keep the rest of these items handy:
(i) A week’s supply of canned food and drinking water,
(ii) A first aid kit,
(iii) Medicines as and how required by yourself and/or the rest of your fellow family members,
(iv) A few blankets,
(vi) Flashlights with replacement batteries,
(vii) All your legal and financial documents neatly stacked away in a file or folder.
- As a more heightened means of safety, it’s most prudent if you are aware of any potential shelters if ever the need for evacuating your home in an emergency note arises; acknowledge all other family members to oblige to the same as well.
About the author: Jane Taylor is a student who is learning and researching about disaster management. She is also experienced in writing articles about natural disaster prevention. These days she is writing articles about the usage of electronic cigarette starter kit. Follow her on +Google.